Epiphany

A while ago, I made this post about a step forward that I had taken in what I'm going to call my ongoing body image issue-reconciliation project. Last night I had another major epiphany that I want to share, because the realization made me incredibly happy and thankful.

Not sure how many of you are aware because blogger tends to be a very different world, but on Tumblr, there are a lot of blogs centered around "thinspiration" and dieting (some of which are downright scary) and a LOT of people who are very open with how they feel about their bodies, positive or negative. I was following a few tamer "thinspo" blogs, but lately, and I'm not sure when this happened exactly...I’ve hit a point where I don’t feel like I can relate to thinspo or people wanting to hardcore diet/cleanse anymore. I understand and empathize and I’m still not happy with my weight/figure/habits, but I no longer feel like I need to abuse myself to change what needs changing. I don't feel desperate. God, it feels so good to even just say that. And everyday, I’m finding things to like about my body and how good it feels when it’s healthy and happy.

I really hope the feeling this realization has kindled will keep up and motivate me to stay healthy. Take that middle-school insecurity! Strike two!

Comments

  1. that is seriously disturbing! i've heard of that on TV shows & such. once when someone made an anorexic reference on their blog, i said something like anorexia is never a good thing. then i asked if they were being sarcastic. they said they were, & adapted their post. i don't want to tell people how to live their life, but body image is such a life long battle. i don't feel anyone needs to contribute to promoting that in anyway, shape, or form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel like everyone has body hang-ups. but my aunt did give me good advice once. she said to take pictures of yourself in a bikini while you're young, even if you don't feel good about yourself. because someday you'll look back on those and think how awesome you looked! haha. it's hard to love everything about one's own body, but just think how amazing it is! i've really started to learn that now that i have kids and carried them in my body for 9 months!

    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...