The Curse of Curves


I live with 5 girls, so naturally, the subject of body shape and size comes up pretty routinely. We're evenly matched in that some of us complain about being too skinny and wanting curves like Beyoncé and the rest complain about having too many curves and wanting to be able to wear that latest trend and not look like a whale. I always fall sort of in the middle of this debate, where I like my curves, but definitely wouldn't be opposed to losing about...25 pounds. I used to be extremely self-conscious (like What Not To Wear status) about my body type and only within the last two or three years have I started to understand what looks good on me. I'm fairly curvy, and I do occasionally feel like that limits my wardrobe choices, but overall, I'm not too upset about what I can't pull off. The thing I find hardest for me is that I can't just buy something because it looks good on a mannequin, because the mannequin's proportions are nowhere close to mine. I think, if there's one thing fashion blogs have taught me, it's that everybody looks amazing when they find the right pieces and wear things they feel confident in, and that's been something I've been trying to incorporate into my daily fashion lately. Now, I choose to not wear a t-shirt and sweatshirt all the time because they're comfortable, and sometimes I'll even wear something curve-flattering and like the way it looks on me. I've got a long way to go on really loving my body, like many girls, but I think I've taken some important steps forward on this road. Today, though I was wearing a t-shirt and hoodie (paired with skinny jeans) for the first time since school started, I felt really good about my body. I was reminded of an icebreaker all the girls did during this self-confidence session for residents I went to: What's your favorite part of your body? Mine are my calves.

Yours?
***

Comments

  1. "Now, I choose to not wear a t-shirt and sweatshirt all the time"

    I'm proud of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...