Recipe: Bhindi Subji

I don't really enjoy calling things New Years resolutions...because let's face it, the term highlights my failures more often than successes (and like, we're just totally not into labels, man...you know?), but I would like to cook more this year. Especially, Indian food. One of my all-time favorite dishes is stir-fried okra, or bhindi subji, but I like it exactly a certain way. Thus, I modified a recipe I found a little so it'd be exactly to my taste, and whaddya know? It turned out great (which is rare for my cooking experiments)! Nothin' like a little positive reinforcement!
2 cups okra, diced
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
2 small green chiles, diced (or w/e your spicy preference)
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt to taste 

In a pan, heat the mustard seeds and oil on medium until the seeds begin to crackle. Add okra and fry for about 10 min, stirring regularly. The okra should turn a dark-ish green and get less sticky. Add coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and chiles and cook for another 3-4 min. Add lemon juice and cook for another 1-2 min, still stirring regularly and you're donezo! Eat with a tortilla (or roti/naan)! Pro-tip: Might want to turn your vent on. Let me know if you try it!

Comments

  1. Looks so good! I recently tried this Vegetarian Indian Restaurant and I has made me really want to explore Indian food more. The spices are so flavorful and the food is so fulfilling. :)

    Pepper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indian food is so delicious, i love food that have a strong flavour and use a lot of spices, so this cuisine is definitely right up my alley!

    Love from the NaNa girls xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indian is one of my all time fav foods so I will definitely try this recipe, thanks so much! It looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...